To ensure the student has a Systems Engineering perspective of the Railway Signalling, Control & Communications system and can provide for the integration of many subsystems and diverse equipment in a professional manner.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to Systems Engineering concepts
- Design and Operational considerations for failure conditions/ restoration of service
- Human factors in the development of a signalling system
- General phases of a signalling or communications project.
- Whole-of-Life Cost issues
- The different types of specification and their appropriateness
- Contracting/Tendering technology risk
- Quality system and documentation, key areas for system quality and safety checks
- Introduction to safety assurance
- Configuration control
- Hazard, risk & qualified risk assessment, identification and analysis techniques
- FMECA, fault tree analysis
- Relevant Standards
- The advantages and limitations of new technology